Are Lilies Toxic To Dogs?

Lilies are very popular flowers found in gardens and homes. They come in various colors and sizes, and their beautiful blooms can brighten up any space.

However, it’s essential to know that lilies are toxic to dogs. While some lilies are non-toxic, most species can cause serious illness in your pup. So if you have lilies in your garden, keep an eye on your dog to ensure they don’t eat any.

If you’re unsure whether a particular type of this plant is safe, it’s always best to be careful and keep them out of reach. Even if it isn’t toxic, eating it can still make your dog sick, so it’s best to avoid them altogether. Contact your dog’s vet immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten a lily.

Lilies That are Toxic to Dogs

It’s important to be aware that most lilies are toxic to dogs. While the toxicity level varies from species to species, even a small amount of this plant can cause serious health problems for your pup.

Harmful lilies to your dog include:

  • Easter Lily (Lilium longiflorum)
  • Stargazer Lily (Lilium orientalis)
  • Calla Lily (Zantedeschia sp)
  • Tiger Lily (Lilium lancifolium)
  • Glory Lily (Gloriosa superba)
  • Peruvian Lily (Alstroemeria)
  • Japanese Show Lily (Lilium speciosum)
  • Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum)
  • Leopard Lily (Lilium pardalinum)

Various Species of Lilies Affect Your Dog in Different Ways

True Lilies

True lilies are members of the genus Lilium, a group of showy flowering plants that includes more than 100 species. The most popular lilies include Easter, tiger, and stargazer. True lilies are prized for their large, fragrant flowers, which come in a wide range of colors, including white, pink, red, and orange.

While true lilies are typically considered garden plants, some species are also popular houseplants. Unfortunately, true lilies can be poisonous to dogs, so pet owners should keep them out of reach. Ingestion can lead to severe health problems. Poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, and tremors.

Daylilies

Daylilies are not toxic to dogs but can cause an upset tummy if ingested. Daylilies are a kind of blooming plant in the Hemerocallis genus. The daylily has over 70 species and is native to Europe, Asia, and North America. These plants are known for their beautiful flowers, which bloom for only one day.

Peace and Calla Lilies

While peace and calla lilies are not true lilies, they are still members of the Lily family. Both of these plants are popular as houseplants and cut flowers. When the Peace or Calla variety are eaten, it releases calcium oxalate crystals that can cause irritation and swelling. In severe cases, these crystals can obstruct the airway and possibly be fatal.

If you think your pup has eaten one of these plants, get in touch with your veterinarian right away. With quick treatment, many dogs make a full recovery. However, it is always best to avoid this situation and keep these flowers out of reach of your four-legged friend.

Lily of the Valley

The Lily of the Valley is a beautiful plant that is often used in bouquets and floral arrangements. But you may be surprised to learn that it is not a true lily. In fact, it’s part of the Asparagaceae family, which also includes asparagus and green onion. The plant is poisonous to dogs and, if ingested, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and heart arrhythmias.

If you have a dog and are considering planting one of these plants, it is crucial to be aware of the dangers and take steps to keep your pet safe.

Are All Parts of the Lily Harmful to Dogs?

Dogs can be poisoned by any parts of this plant, including the leaves, flowers, stems, and pollen. Even modest amounts can induce renal failure in dogs. Toxic symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, weakness, and difficulties urinating.

If you think your dog has chowed down on one of these plants, it is vital to take your pup to the vet quickly. With proper care, your furry friend should make a full recovery. However, if it goes untreated, lily toxicity can lead to death. As a result, it is vital to be aware of the dangers posed by this common houseplant.

Bulb of the Lily

Many people are surprised to learn that the bulb is more toxic to dogs than other parts of the plant. This is because the bulbs contain higher levels of calcium oxalate, a compound that can cause gastrointestinal irritation and kidney damage. Symptoms of bulb poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and abdominal pain.

Also, be aware that the water in the vase can also be toxic. Therefore, it is essential to keep lilies out of dogs’ reach and keep them from drinking from the vase.

Will a Dog Get Sick by Smelling a Lily?

Dogs can be exposed to lilies in several ways, including smelling the flowers or coming into contact with the pollen.

While dogs typically don’t get sick from smelling lilies, they can experience symptoms if they lick their fur after exposure. In some cases, this can cause gastrointestinal irritation and vomiting.

Can Eating Lilies be Fatal to My Dog?

While it’s rare for a dog to die from eating these plants, it can still cause serious health problems. Watch your dog if they start vomiting, have diarrhea, drooling excessively, and lack coordination. If your dog swallows even a small amount of the bulb, stem, or flower, it’s essential to take your dog to the vet’s office.

Note: While it’s relatively rare for a dog to die from eating this plant, it is poisonous to cats and can be fatal if ingested.

What Will Happen if My Dog Eats a Lily?

If your dog eats this flowery plant, their experience will likely be unpleasant but not necessarily fatal. All types of lilies contain toxins that can lead to vomiting, runny stools, and an irritated tummy.

The type of lily and the size of your dog will determine the severity of the response. For example, a large breed dog who consumes a small amount of the tiger variety may experience only mild vomiting and diarrhea. In contrast, a dog from a small breed who ingests the same amount of tiger lily could be at risk for more serious reactions, including liver damage.

In general, it is a good idea to contact your veterinarian if your dog eats any type of this plant.

What Are the Symptoms of Lily Poisoning

The symptoms in dogs can vary depending on various factors, including the type of lily ingested and the amount consumed. In general, symptoms include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Loss of appetite
  • DroolingDehydration
  • Difficulty urinating
  • Abdominal pain in rare cases

Lily poisoning can also cause liver damage, kidney failure, and in sporadic cases, death.

How is Lily Poisoning Diagnosed?

If you think your fur baby has gulped down any part of this plant, you must call your vet immediately and bring your dog to the vet clinic. They will likely ask about your pet’s symptoms and recent history and whether they have been seen eating this plant.

When you arrive, they will perform a physical exam and may administer blood and urine tests to evaluate your dog’s liver and kidney function. In some cases, an ultrasound may be ordered to look for signs of damage to the liver.

How is Lily Poisoning Treated?

If your dog has eaten any part of this plant, treatment will be based on the type or species consumed and the amount ingested. Treatment will generally focus on managing symptoms and supporting your dog’s vital functions.

Fluids and anti-nausea medicine can be used to alleviate symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.

In rare circumstances, it may also be required to pump the stomach.

If your dog is experiencing liver or kidney failure, it may require hospitalization and intensive supportive care.

How Can I Prevent Lily Poisoning?

The best way to prevent poisoning is to keep lilies out of your dog’s reach. This means putting the plants in a room your pet can’t get to and keeping them away from places your dog likes to hang out.

If you have lilies in your home, it is also important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of poisoning so that you can seek veterinary care immediately if you think your dog has eaten one.

Other Plants That are Harmful to Dogs

While lilies are poisonous to dogs, they are not the only plants that can be harmful to your pet. Other plants that are poisonous to dogs include:

  • Tulips
  • Daffodils
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Azaleas
  • Sago palms
  • Oleander
  • Cyclamen
  • Castor beans
  • Ivy
  • Aloe Vera

If you suspect your dog has consumed a dangerous plant, seek veterinary attention immediately.

Conclusion

Owning a dog is a tremendous responsibility. One of the things you need to be aware of is what kinds of plants are poisonous to dogs. For example, lilies are one type of plant that can harm your furry friend, and dog owners must be aware of this and take steps to ensure their dogs do not come in contact with these flowers.

Owners should also be aware of the signs of lily toxicity in their dogs, as early detection can help to ensure the best possible outcome.

If you suspect your dog has consumed one of these plants, seek veterinarian attention right once. Most dogs will recover from lily poisoning without any major consequences if treated promptly.