Do you love your pet but are struggling to keep your home hair-free and odor-free? Or is somebody at home suffering from allergy-related symptoms or asthma?
Don’t worry, you don’t have to get rid of your furry friend in order to get everything back in control if you choose an air purifier like the top-rated Alen BreatheSmart FIT50.
An air purifier can efficiently collect and trap pet dander, which is the main cause of pet allergies, as well as pet hair, dust mites, and all other pollutants flying around in the air in your home.
Most air purifiers can also help resolve the problems with smelly litter boxes or pets by eliminating the smells and refreshing the air.
We have selected the top air purifiers for pets for 2022 you, which can deal with pet hair, pet dander, and pet odors and are safe for you and for your beloved pet.
Read on to find out to know about these ingenious, efficient, and highly useful devices which every pet owner should have at home.
You live with your beloved pet but you have pet allergies? The Honeywell True HEPA HPA300 air purifier could alleviate your allergy symptoms and make your household a much more pleasant place to live.
- Suitable for rooms up to 465 square feet
- It cleans the air in the room completely five times per hour
- The certified True HEPA filter can capture up to 99.97 percent of the microscopic airborne allergens and pollutants as small as 0.3 microns
- It is perfect for removing pet dander, dust, mold spores, pollen, bacteria, dust mites, viruses, tobacco smoke, and other harmful particles from the air
- It is highly efficient for removing smoke, cooking, and pet odors as well thanks to its activated carbon filter
- The unit has a 3 stage filtering system
- There are 3 fan speed settings, as well as a Turbo clean for fast and efficient cleaning of highly polluted air
- The pre-filter needs to be replaced every 3 months, and the True HEPA filter should be replaced once a year
- There are indicator lights which will inform you when it is time to replace each of the filters
- The size of the device is 20.7 (L) x 10.83 (W) x 22.38 (H) inches and weighs 21 lbs.
- It is also available in other variants for rooms sized up to 155, 310, 75, and 170 square feet
- It is suitable for rooms of up to 350 square feet
- The device cleans the air in the room twice per hour
- Eliminates airborne pollutants such as pet dander, dust mites, mold spores, viruses, VOCs, smoke, viruses, and bacteria
- It helps remove any nasty odors from cooking, smoking, or from pets
- Excellent device for people with allergies, asthma, rhinitis, and eczemas
- The device has a 6-in-1 air filtering system
- The Nano cold catalyst filter is the pre-filter that captures larger airborne particles and toxic chemicals including ammonia, formaldehyde or benzene
- The Cellular activated carbon filter absorbs and eliminates smoke, gases, odors, and VOCs
- The Antibacterial filter helps destroy fungi, viruses, and bacteria
- The True HEPA filter captures all airborne pollutants as tiny as 0.3 microns including dust mites, pollen, mold spores, and others
- It has a UV-C light and ionizer which can be turned on separately to kill off viruses, bacteria and to tackle particularly stubborn odors
- The user interface and color display will keep you informed about the real-time air quality in the room with its different color codes
- The automatic mode and smart sensor will detect the air quality and will adjust the speed of the fan accordingly
- Suitable for homes with pets, smokers, or with lingering odors
- It will help alleviate allergy symptoms and make breathing easier for people suffering from asthma
- It is easy to control via the control panel and the remote control
- The device has a whisper-quiet sleep mode
- It is 13.5 x 7 x 19.5 inches in size and weighs 12 lbs.
- Suitable for use in rooms up to 140 square feet
- The unit costs only about $60
- It is a simple, easy to use, and easy to maintain the device
- It has a permanent pre-filter that traps the pet hairs and larger airborne particles
- The filter is designed for homes with pets and offers 99% HEPA filtration
- The HEPA filter is permanent, so you will not have to buy expensive replacements, it only needs to be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner periodically
- There are two replaceable carbon zeolite filters that absorb the pet odors and eliminate them
- It works very quietly
- You can use it either horizontally or vertically depending on the space you have available
- It has 3 fan speeds
- The size of the appliance is 10.8 x 8.1 x 16.4 inches, and it weighs 6.3 lbs.
The best budget-friendly option
It costs less than $50 and yet has a True HEPA filter and is easy and safe to use.
Its 3-stage filtering system has a pre-filter that can capture and trap larger airborne pollutants such as pet hair. The pre-filter is washable and will help prolong the life of the True HEPA filter.
The affordable air purifier for pets has a True HEPA filter which can capture 99.97% of the microscopic pollutants from the air in the room, including pet dander, dust mites, pollen, and other potentially harmful airborne particles and allergens as small as 0.3 microns. The average life of the filter is about 6 months.
The third stage of air purification is ensured by the activated carbon filter. It efficiently removes any pet odors, smoke, and cooking smell from the air, without releasing ozone, ions or UV.
Thanks to its rounded design, this inexpensive air purifier will intake the air from all 360 degrees and will release it clean in all directions too.
It is very easy to adjust and use via the single button for turning the device on and off, and for choosing one of the two fan speeds.
It also has a useful nightlight function, but keep in mind that the light cannot be turned off when the unit is switched on.
The Koios purifier is 7.5 x 6.9 x 6.9 inches in size and weighs only 2.1 lbs. so you can easily carry it around the house with you as you move around.
The device is 100% ozone-free FCC, CARB, and FCC certified and is sold with a 3-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee.
The Koios Air Purifier is one of the most affordable ways to ensure that the air in your home is safe, healthy, allergen-free, and fresh at all times, no matter how many pets you have.
The rest of the best
If you want a good quality air purifier but are sensitive to loud noises and sounds, you should opt for the Blue Pure 211+ air purifier which is quiet, and yet highly efficient in cleaning the air from smoke, pet odors, and allergens.
- It features an advanced Swedish filtering technology that removes up to 99% of all microscopic airborne pollutants, including dust mites, pet dander, viruses, pollen, mold spores, bacteria and more
- The activated carbon filter will help remove any bad odors, cigarette smoke, cooking smells and will keep the air inside safe even if there is a wildfire in the area
- The design is in Scandinavian style with exposed colorful mesh filters
- The Fabric pre-filters are in Dark Shadow and Diva Blue colors and are easy to remove and wash
- The unit is whisper quiet and emits only 31 decibels at its lowest fan speed, and a mere 56 decibels at the highest fan speed setting
- Energy Star rated for low energy consumption of just 30-61 watts
- It is AHAM certified for rooms up to 540 square feet and will clean the air completely five times per hour
- The CADR is 350 cubic feet per minute
- The device is also available for larger rooms of up to 620 square feet, and for small rooms of up to 161 square feet
- Its size is 13 x 13 x 20.4 inches, and it weighs 13 lbs.
Not only will the GermGuardian 3-in-1 air purifier help remove the pet dander, pet hair, and pet odors from the air in your home, but it will also help you and your family stay healthy and safe from bacterial and viral infections throughout the year.
- AHAM verified True HEPA filter, which removes pet dander, pollen, dust mites, and all other allergens from the air
- Suitable for rooms up to 180 square feet
- An added Pet Pure antimicrobial agent to the filter helps keep it safe from mildew, fungi, and other harmful bacterial growths
- It is CADR 126 for dust, 128 for pollen, and 116 for smoke
- This is one of the best air purifiers for homes where there are smokers, cooking smells, and pet odors, thanks to the charcoal filter
- It has an optional UV C light technology that can help kill any airborne viruses and bacteria, as well as mold spores, germs, and other harmful pollutants
- It is CARB compliant
- Being Energy Star certified, it is an energy-efficient device that will use minimal power for the maximum result
- There is a single filter that needs to be replaced once every 6 to 8 months, depending on the usage – an indicator will let you know when it is time to change it
- 5 fan speeds to choose from, including a quiet sleep mode
- It an easy to set a timer for up to 8 hours
- It has a small footprint thanks to its tower design
- The size of the air purifier is 6.1 x 9.5 x 27.2 inches
- The air-cleaning machine is suitable for rooms of 60 to 103 square feet
- It is CADR rated 55 CFM
- It utilizes a 3 stage filtration system to keep the air clean, fresh and safe
- The pre-filter captures the pet hair and other larger pollutants and helps prolong the life of the True HEPA filter inside
- The True HEPA filter is certified for being able to trap and eliminate 99.97% of the pollutants from the air as small as 0.3 microns
- The activated carbon filter will trap all nasty odors from the cat litter, from the pets, from smoking, cooking or others
- The air purifier is capable of cleaning the air from pet dander, dust mites, dust, pollens, allergens, mold spores, wildfire smoke, cigarette smoke, and others
- The setting and use of the device is very straightforward – via a single press of a button
- The button is also used for adjustment of the fan speed from low, medium to high
- It has a sleep mode that operates very quietly at only 37 dB
- There is a useful filter replacement indicator
- The filter needs to be replaced approximately once every 6 months
- It has no ozone or UV-C
- You can use it as a night light
- The unit is CARB certified and designed in California
- It is sold with a 1-year warranty
- The appliance is very compact and is only 11 x 5.7 x 11.4 inches in size, and weighs 6.45 lbs.
The Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 Air Purifier is the absolute favorite air purifier for pets for 2022. This powerful device can clean the air perfectly and completely every 30 minutes in rooms and areas up to 900 square feet, and even more often in smaller rooms.
The unit has a CADR of 220, and a CFM from 110-231, and 4 fan speeds.
Although it is one of the most powerful air purifiers for pets, it features WhisperMax technology which allows the device to operate almost silently. It actually makes a soothing pink noise that sounds like light rainfall and can promote a better and deeper sleep, which makes it perfect for use in bedrooms too.
The highly efficient air purifier for pets is fitted with a HEPA OdorCell filter which is specially designed to absorb and eliminate strong odors on a molecular level, as well as to capture pet dander, dust, and other allergens.
This gorgeous-looking unit has a smart sensor that will detect any airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns and will adjust the speed of its fans thanks to its BreatheSmart Auto feature. With the auto feature, you won’t have to toggle with the fan speeds and other adjustments, because the machine will do that automatically for you. By turning the fan on, and increasing its speed only when needed, the filter life of the device will be longer, and its energy consumption will be lower.
The average life of the filter of this air purifier is 9 to 12 months depending on the use, and the quality of your air.
The air-cleaning machine is suitable for homes with all kinds of pets, especially where there are people with pet allergies. Even those allergic to cats and dogs can live with their favorite pets comfortably when the BreatheSmart FIT50 air purifier is switched on.
Its HEPA OdorCell triple layered filter will remove the large particles like pet hair and pollen, as well as the microscopic allergens like pet dander, dust, and others, as well as capture, trap, and destroy all kinds of odors from the air.
It will remove even the most persistent smells coming from the kitty litter, the kitchen, or from tobacco smoke.
You can also rest assured that it will constantly monitor the air quality in your home, and will adjust itself accordingly to keep the air as clean and fresh as possible at all times. you can see what the air quality is from wherever you are thanks to the useful colored indicator lights on the unit.
You can turn the lights out if they are disturbing your sleep too.
The display control panel is located on the top of the device and is very easy to set and adjust.
You can set the timer for 2, 4, and for 12 hours.
The beautiful and contemporary design of this purifier makes it perfect for even the most stylish interiors. Plus, it is available with designer panels in various colors to suit any décor, including espresso, brushed bronze, brushed stainless, graphite, maple, oak, rosewood, safari black, weathered grey, and white.
The unit is only 10 x 16.8 x 22.2 inches in size and weighs 16 lbs. It has a carry handle which makes it even easier to move around the house as needed.
The BreatheSmart FIT50 air purifier is also available with different filter types, including filters for allergies and dust (HEPA Pure), mold and bacteria (HEPA Silver), and for smoke and chemicals (HEPA Fresh Plus), and the one which is most suitable for pets – for pet dander and odor (HEPA OdorCell).
The HEPA Fresh Plus filter is especially useful for keeping the air in your home safe in case of a wildfire or chemical disaster in your area.
The BreatheSmart air purifier is also available in other variants suitable for rooms of different sizes, including the BreatheSmart Flex for 700 square feet, the BreatheSmart 45i for 800 square feet, the BreatheSmart Classic for 1,100 square feet, and the BreatheSmart 75i for rooms and homes up to 1,300 square feet.
Probably the feature which we liked the most in this high-end air purifier for pets by Alen is the fact that it is sold with a lifetime guarantee, for peace of mind. Whenever you need assistance with your Alen BreatheSmart FIT50 air purifier you can contact the manufacturer’s dedicated customer care service and receive the perfect assistance and help you can get.
If you are shopping for a powerful air purifier for pets that will help reduce pet odors and alleviate the respiratory and skin problems due to pet allergies, then you may want to opt for the premium quality Whirlpool Whispure WPPR02000B air purifier.
- CADR rated 328 and suitable for rooms up to 508 square feet
- It will clean the air 4.8 times per hour in rooms sized 508 square feet
- It has built-in air quality and VOCs sensor
- You can monitor the air quality in the room in real-time via the color display of the device
- There are four fan speed levels, including a turbo mode
- It has a highly efficient True HEPA filter which is a must for people with pet allergies, dust allergies, or hay fever
- It is very efficient for cleaning the air in areas affected by wildfires
- It captures pet hair, pet dander and eliminates pet smells
- It has an activated carbon filter that traps all odors including those from cooking, smoking, pets, and chemicals
- A Whispure Quiet technology will allow you to sleep soundly even with the purifier running right next to you
- The device has a Smart Auto mode which will eliminate the guesswork and will adjust the fan speed according to the current quality of the air automatically
- It has an easy set a timer
- In Sleep mode, the light is dimmed and the noise is minimized
- The appliance can be used as a nightlight, and the light is dimmable or can be turned off
- The filters are easy to replace
- The activated carbon filter should be replaced every 3 months, and the True HEPA filter once a year
- It is completely safe and ozone free
- Energy Star approved
- The unit is 20.5 x 10 x 24 inches in size and weighs 22.4 lbs.
- The machine has nifty cord storage onboard
- The Whirlpool Whispure is sold with a 5-year warranty for the motor and a 1-year for the product
- It is available in slate black, gunmetal, and pearl white colors
The Winix 5500-2 is a reasonably priced and highly efficient air purifier for pets. This air cleaning machine will make a life for people with pet, dust, and pollen allergies much easier.
It has a 3-stage air purification system including an Advanced Odor Control filter, a True HEPA filter, and PlasmaWave technology.
The True HEPA filter can capture 99.97% of the airborne allergens and pollutants, including dust mites, pollen, pet dander, and various other harmful particles and allergens as small as 0.3 microns.
The affordable air purifier for pets also has a removable and washable activated carbon filter which can remove nasty or lingering pet odors, VOCs, smoke, kitchen smells, and others.
The unit also features a PlasmaWave filtration technology which breaks down the airborne vapors, pollutants, and odors into harmless particles without releasing ozone.
The air purifier for pets by Winix has 4 fan speeds which you can adjust in manual mode, including low, medium, high, and turbo.
If you choose to use it in Auto mode, thanks to the smart sensors of the Winix 5500-2, you won’t need to fiddle with the settings in order to keep the air in the room clean at all times, as it will adjust its speed and power level according to the current air quality by itself.
The unit has a Sleep mode which will adjust the speed of the fan and the indicator lights according to the ambient light in the room making it quiet and non-disruptive when you sleep.
It comes with remote control for easy adjustment of the settings and has useful indicator lights to inform you about the air quality, as well as when it is time to replace the filter.
The device is CADR rated for rooms of up to 360 square feet, which makes it perfect for kid’s rooms, bedrooms, living rooms, and kitchens of medium and large sizes.
The Winix 5500-2 is Energy Star certified, CADR certified, and CARB certified.
It is 15 x 8.2 x 23.6 inches in size and weighs 15.4 lbs.
The pre-filter needs to be cleaned every 2 weeks, the AOC carbon filter should be washed every 3 months, and the True HEPA filter must be replaced once every 12 months on average.
Overall, this air purifier is a must for any household with pets, especially if you have a member of the family suffering from pet allergy or asthma, or other respiratory problems.
It is reasonably priced, and possibly the bang for the buck you can find on the market right now.
Why do you need an air purifier for pets?
More families in the US are adding pets to their households. At the same time, the number of people and especially small children suffering from allergies or asthma. In fact, statistics show that every 1 in 5 people has either asthma or allergy-related symptoms.
This means that there is a high probability that if you have an allergy or asthma and have a pet at home, the symptoms of these conditions could be triggered and worsened by the pet dander in your home.
Many people who suffer from nasal congestion, sneezing, watery and itchy eyes, runny nose, or experience difficulty breathing are often not even aware that they may be allergic to the pet, the dust, the pollen or other pollutants and allergies at home.
A good quality air purifier for pets with a True HEPA filter can help collect and trap the pet dander, and thus reduce these negative reactions in people with allergies, asthma or other respiratory problems. True HEPA filters are actually certified to be capable of removing over 99.97% of all allergens from the air even the ones as small as 0.3 microns.
Plus, if you have pets at home, you are already aware of the hassle of having to clean the floor, furniture, and just about everything from the dog, cat or other animal’s hair.
An air purifier can help this problem too. If dealing with the pet’s hair is your primary reason for getting an air purifier, you can easily opt for a less expensive one that has a HEPA like or HEPA type filter.
Last but not least, although we love our pets, some of them do tend to smell – be it of a condition, their litter, or old age, the smell of pets in the home could be unpleasant and embarrassing.
With the appropriate air purifier for pets, you can easily get rid of the foul odor, and ensure that the air at home is clean and fresh enough for you, your family as well as your guests at all times. in order to make sure that your air purifier will deal with the problem with odors in your home, you should opt for one which has an activated carbon filter or an ionizer. The activated carbon is highly efficient in trapping and eliminating all kinds of odors, including smoke, pet smells, cooking odors, and others. Ionizers release negative ions which can destroy the odors on a molecular level, just make sure you pick one which releases no or only minimal quantities of ozone.
A good air purifier will also help remove the dust mites, mold spores, pollen, smoke, microbes, viruses, VOCs, and other potentially harmful pollutants from the air that you breathe, and will make your home safer, really healthier, and more pleasant place to be.
Features to look for when choosing the best air purifier for pets
When you are shopping for an air purifier, it is very important to look for one which is suitable for your specific needs, and for the size of the room or area you are planning on using it in.
As mentioned earlier, the different air purifiers offer different types of filtration which are suitable for different needs. The ones with activated carbon filters are perfect for removing foul or lingering odors, those with True HEPA filters are a must if there are an allergy or asthma sufferers at home, and the units which have HEPA type filters can remove pet hair, dust, and other larger airborne particles from the air.
Also, the different air purifiers have different capacities, so you should choose one which can cover the area of the room where you will be using it if you want great results.
Here are the main features to keep in mind when you are choosing an air purifier
- Adjustable speed settings – the more settings the purifier offers, the more control you will have on its operation.
- Auto mode – the auto speed control is incredibly useful if you don’t want to meddle with the settings all the time, and rather prefer to leave this to the machine itself which will slow down or stop when the air quality is perfect, and speed up the fans if pollution is detected.
- Sleep mode – if you are going to sleep with the air purifier on, or if you are susceptible to noises, you should look for a unit that has a sleep mode, and which can work quietly without disrupting your work, sleep, and life.
- Size and portability – if you have limited space at home, or you are planning on moving the device from one room to another, make sure that you pick an air purifier that will fit in the space you have allocated for it, and also that it is easy to carry around. Keep in mind, that the standalone air purifiers need to have free space around them to work properly, so choose the place where you will be placing your purifier, and measure the space it has around it as well.
- The type of filter – this, of course, is the leading feature, as we have already informed you. Pick a device that has the type of filter for your specific needs. For allergies and respiratory problems pick one with a True HEPA filter, for odor removal pick one with an Activated carbon filter, for hair removal and overall air cleaning you can opt for a machine with a HEPA like filter.
- Filter replacement and price – if you are buying an air purifier which has replaceable filters, make sure you check how long the life of each filter is, and what the replacement filters cost in order to be prepared for the ongoing expenses. Some of the air purifiers have washable and reusable filters which can save you a lot of money. Most have pre-filters that will capture the larger particles and will prolong the life of the main filters. Also, most good-quality air purifiers for pets have easy to access and remove or replace filters, to make life easier on you.
- The capacity of the machine – the different air purifiers are tested and recommended for rooms of different sizes. Also, some of them will circulate and clean the air more times per hour than others, so make sure you check out their CADR ratings, and their capacity before buying the best one for your needs.
- Timer – this is useful if you want the air purifier to work while you are asleep or out of the house, and then switch off after the item you have set. You can also adjust the timer so that the unit starts cleaning the air just an hour or so before you come back to your home.
- Smart sensor – the air purifiers with smart sensors will monitor the air quality in the room in real-time, and will not only keep you informed about it but will adjust their speed and power in accordance to it.
- Display lights and indicators – most air purifiers will display the status of the air quality in the room at all times. Some have filter replacement indicators, and others can be used as nightlights. It is essential to check whether these lights are dimmable and can be turned off, especially if you are a light sleeper, and want to use the device in the bedroom.
- Ease of use – you will want to buy a device that is easy to understand, and set, especially if you are not particularly tech-savvy. There are devices that come with remote controls, and some can even be operated via your smartphone, so if you are looking for bonuses like these, then pick a model that has one or both of them.
- Safety – the air purifiers for pets we have picked for you are safe for you and for the animals. Keep in mind that air purifiers with ionizers can be dangerous for pets like birds, and those that generate ozone can be unhealthy and even dangerous for both the pets and for you.