Is there anything better than cool grape jelly on a hot bun? Grape jelly has the perfect balance of sweet and savory without being too sugary. This makes it the ideal accompaniment to most foods, such as PB&J, which is why most people love it.
If grape jelly is this good for us, then it makes sense that your furry friend would like some too. They have a sweet tooth that makes them crave anything sweet and might want some grape jelly to satisfy it. But is grape jelly safe for them? What should you know before giving your dog this sweet treat?
Should Dogs Eat Grape Jelly?
Most of us love giving our pets whatever is on our plate. However, grape jelly is a big no-no for your dog. There is much to unpack regarding grape jelly, but the biggest reason is that grapes are toxic to dogs. There are harmful properties in grapes and grape-flavored products that are bad for dogs.
There is no clear reason for their toxicity to dogs, but some studies show that potassium bitartrate and tartaric acid are the main culprits. Dogs are susceptible to both these compounds, which are found in high amounts in grapes. Ingesting a high quantity of grapes can result in kidney failure.
It is not worth it for your dog to go through all this pain just to taste some grape jelly, no matter how sweet it is.
It can also be tricky to give them grape jelly even if it does not contain grapes, as the grape flavor is dangerous to them.
Aside from the toxicity, grape jelly is highly processed unless you make it at home. It also contains excessive levels of sugar that is unsafe for dogs.
Can Grape Jelly Kill Dogs?
Even a small amount of grape jelly can endanger your canine. For example, a 10-pound dog will be at risk of death if they eat two grapes.
Grape jelly is even worse because it contains a lot of grape juice or its concentrate. Giving your pup just a spoonful of it can be fatal, so it is not much of a stretch to say grape jelly can kill your dog.
This shows how important it is to ensure your pup doesn’t accidentally eat some grape jelly. To avoid accidents, you must lock away any grape products or the fruit itself. It would help if you carefully discard grapes or cutlery with grape jelly.
What Happens When a Dog Eats Grape Jelly?
The reaction depends on the amount your dog ate. The symptoms can start showing soon; you might notice them vomiting or heaving after eating the jelly. You should also observe their appetite; if they cannot eat, call your vet immediately. This is crucial to ensure they don’t suffer from organ complications.
It is important to closely observe any symptoms your furry friend might show, as it could help determine how much jelly they ate. It also helps the vet quickly find the best treatment option.
If your pup doesn’t show any symptoms after eating the jelly and in the following days, then they will be fine. However, even days after consuming the jelly, you must reach out to your vet if they show symptoms.
Are Dogs Allergic to Grape Jelly?
Aside from the dangers mentioned above, your furry friend might be allergic to the product. This is why it is always necessary to get your vet’s advice before introducing your dog to any new foods; they can help you determine whether the food, in this case, grape jelly, is a potential allergen.
Grape jelly is very dangerous to dogs and can be even riskier for dogs with grape allergies. Do not leave the jelly near your furry friend regardless of how much they beg or whine. If they accidentally have some, lookout for allergy symptoms, such as:
- Dry mouth
What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats Grape Jelly?
After finding out your beloved fur baby ate some grape jelly, you have to take quick action and assess the situation. Collect any information that your vet can use, such as:
- The amount of grape jelly they ate
- How long ago did they eat the jelly
- The ingredients in that specific jelly
Determine whether any of the substances are toxic or allergenic to dogs. Knowing this can help you understand the situation and its severity. It also enables you to assist the vet in making a quick diagnosis should you need to visit the clinic.
Also, watch out for any of the above symptoms. It is best to seek professional help or advice even if nothing happens instead of risking your pup’s life. Quick action is necessary to ensure you give them the best chances of survival.
Well, now you know you should not give your pup grape jelly regardless of the circumstances. Grapes are highly toxic to dogs, and you will be risking your furry friend’s life if you let them eat it.
Grape jelly contains not only grapes but also other ingredients harmful to dogs. Its high sugar concentration can result in severe health complications. When sugar is not used, substitutes such as xylitol are even more dangerous for your dog.
It is highly advisable to avoid grape jelly altogether and find healthier alternatives. To satisfy your dog’s sweet tooth, you can feed it healthy and safe fruits such as bananas, watermelons, mangoes, blueberries, and oranges.